Town Planner - UDP International (Urban Design & Planning Consultants Limited)
STAFF QUALIFICATION & JOB DESCRIPTION
Division: Planning and Urban Design Team
Position: Town Planner
Report to: Managing Director/Senior Management
● Master’s Degree in Town Planning (minimum)
● Additional Master’s Degree in Urban Design (preferred)
● HKIP membership and/or other equivalent professional qualification
● Minimum 2 years of Town Planning experience in Hong Kong
● Familiar with statutory planning process in Hong Kong
● Previous experience in preparing planning application and impact assessments in Hong Kong required
● Urban Design Experience (preferred)
● Proactive with excellent organisation and presentation skills
● Ability to work independently in a professional manner
● Fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin
● Good interpersonal and communication skills
● Capable, outgoing and active in taking initiative
● Proficient in basic MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, AutoCAD, SketchUp and other advanced technical graphics software a plus
● Project management and coordination, liaising with Clients and sub consultants
● Conduct background research for planning and related projects
● Analyse data and information in a clear and concise manner
● Prepare for submission of planning applications and impact assessments
● Organize public engagement events
● Ensure ISO requirements are met
● Work with the Planning and Urban Design Team
Detailed Job Description: Town Planner
Learn and understand UDP International’s (Urban Design & Planning Consultants Limited) core business offerings of planning, design, impact assessment and research. Have a keen desire to further develop knowledge and skills in the above areas including written, oral and graphic communication skills in order to assist in the successful delivery of projects. Add value towards the growth of UDP International’s core disciplines and help achieve the company’s mission and vision.
Working alongside and reporting to the Managing Director you will be expected to help successfully provide planning and research inputs, manage the ongoing and day to day coordination of key projects. You will often be the key point of contact for clients and consultants and therefore must be conscientious, approachable, articulate, confident and strategic in your approach to project coordination and management. You must also look to add value and make contributions to the team beyond project assignments for example help in ensuring ISO requirements are met; researching for potential project leads; and proactively contributing in project brainstorming sessions.
As Town Planner you will provide planning inputs and effectively work to coordinate projects both internally and externally on planning and design projects. Essential skills are exceptional organization and time management, competence in managing budgets and related timelines, strong communication/interpersonal skills, attention to detail and the capability of interpreting project briefs into clearly defined deliverables. You must also have the ability/learn to craft tailored proposals for new and existing clients, which help explain UDP International’s processes and ways of working across a variety of projects. Above all you will have the ability to develop sound relationships with clients and work well with UDP International’s team including various consultants that work on a project basis from time to time, ensuring trust and confidence in the UDP International business.
Additional requirements to the role would be to assist the UDP International team with any background research for any given or potential project for a better appreciation and understanding of the client/project requirements that may help rationalize the development of innovative and sustainable solutions. Learn to develop an urban design and planning understanding in various contexts for example Hong Kong, China and India, to provide valuable analytical, written and graphic inputs to projects to help support the successful delivery of project panels and reports. You must be keen to learn and understand the operation of a boutique urban design and planning firm’s processes as well as best practice approaches to project planning, proposals writing by interpreting project briefs and delivering winning proposals. Also judging project work against brief, delivery and articulation of urban design and planning work to clients. Take the initiative to actively participate in planning and related workshops beyond office hours to gain knowledge and a better understanding of critical urban issues in Hong Kong and the region.
For inquiry and interested candidates, kindly send your CV / portfolio to email@example.com